Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Potatoes

Sunday at lunch the pastor's wife made some yummy potatoes with butter and a dry Thousand Island dressing mix. I bought some potatoes yesterday when I went to the store with a mind to try and make them. I wound up having to call her after I had stirred and stirred them on the stove top and had them turning into mush. She said that she had done them in the oven. Duh. And that she had put in a little water. Less than a ¼ cup. Probably an 1/8th. My daughter's friend kept lurking around the stove commenting on the heavenly aroma. ;o) I used a liquid recipe of 2 parts Thousand Island and 1 part Italian (because her potatoes looked clearer than the liquid Thousand Island would have produced.) I also put this mixture on my chicken. They tasted all right, but they weren't as good as the pastor's wife's. So, I'm looking online for a recipe, typing in keywords and I found this: French Potato Casserole and Watermelon Barbecue Sauce.

Speaking of potatoes, Kayotic Kitchen - that beautiful website - has a recipe for Parmesan Cottage Potatoes that looks scrumptious:


UPDATE: My son liked the potatoes last night, as did the daughter's girlfriend. My husband came home late and complained that they weren't that good. (Well, cold of course not!) This afternoon my son makes some comment about my latest rash of cooking. I turned on him like a wounded bear and told him that he could do the cooking tonight! My daughter chimed in and said that she hadn't said anything about the potatoes, which I said gagging and spitting them out IS a comment. She said that she had told me or that I knew that she doesn't like Thousand Island. I told her that she didn't seem to mind it on the chicken! I had told my husband Monday that I'm tired of being criticized when I try something new. I'm tired of being criticized because we "always have the same old thing." I'm tired being criticized for not cooking dinner until late only to not have anyone eat it. Our family doesn't eat together. We certainly don't eat at the table. We just grab a plate, help ourselves and eat wherever - at the computer, in the living room in front of the television, in their bedrooms, on the front porch talking to friends, etc. Monday, after I made the Potato Soup and my daughter was eating at the computer talking to her buddies on MySpace, my husband was running our son someplace to fix his motorcycle before they closed. He got back and I shoved a bite in his mouth trying to entice him to come inside and eat a bowl while it was hot (and to praise my efforts, I won't lie). He came in, said it was good, but that he had eaten a "big" lunch (at 11:30; now about 6pm) at Danver's that day. He had ordered a hamburger and a baked potato and had really loaded down the potato so much so that he hadn't eaten his burger (until later?), and that he was going to have to "get" hungry... Normally, he comes in from work so famished that he grabs whatever we've had leftover from lunch or makes himself a sandwich. (And then he doesn't eat the portion that I've prepared for him but has the audacity to say that I never make enough and he's always left feeling hungry!) I live in a mad house, an insane asylum.

At least my dog appreciates my potatoes/cooking:
(Even though my mother-in-law will criticize me for letting the dog eat straight out of our dishes, "because the [high temperature of the] dishwasher [isn't good enough/] won't kill the germs that dog carries in her mouth." Even though my mother was viciously attacked by a dog and a doctor told her that he would have been more concerned if Mike Tyson had bitten her because dogs have cleaner mouths than people.]

No comments: